Recovering from Memory Errors
Observing alternating red - green LED lights after powering on your empatica device is an indication that the device is in a memory error state due to (1) full onboard memory or (2) an alternative memory error such as an unset clock.
Note, while in a memory error state you can still search for your device and stream over a Bluetooth Low Energy connection using Empatica Realtime or your own custom application.
To use the device in Memory Mode you have to clear the memory error state by synchronizing your device with the Empatica Manager software on your Windows or Mac computer. If you have tried to sync and the device is still in an error state already you've tried connecting the E4 to Empatica Manager and still have the problem:
- Make sure the latest version of Empatica Manager is running: You can access the latest versions from: Empatica Manager Downloads.
- Make sure you are logged into your Connect Account in Empatica Manager.
- Make sure the Empatica device is powered off before connecting it to the computer (if the device is on a one-second button press will shut it down).
- Windows computers commonly have problems with USB connections -- sometimes recovering from a memory error requires repeating the above procedure two or three times before the device is recovered. Make sure to power off the device each time before connecting it.
- Try resetting the device by holding down the button for 10 seconds until you see the white LED light come on. Once the white light is illuminated, connect the device to the computer.
- If Empatica Manager does not power the Empatica device on (green light) and put the device into charging mode (amber/yellow light) the USB connection may not be stable; try a different USB port, disconnecting and reconnecting the E4, and adjusting the seating of the USB cable in your computer.
- If all else fails try the same operation on a different machine to see if the problem is machine specific.
If the Windows manager indicates that you have a memory error follow the memory error dialog to reset.